Tuesday 29 June 2010

Deviations

I went to Loudun today.  It was supposed to be a simple journey on a road that any Roman would have been proud of - arrow straight, and never mind the hills that got in the way. 

Unfortunately, somebody definitely anti-Roman has installed an un-Roman roundabout just on the outskirts of the town, and the un-Roman roundabout was in urgent need of repair.  So I met a yellow sign that said 'Deviation' in black letters.

Any self-respecting Roman would, of course, have laughed heartily and stepped over it.  Unfortunately, it's obligatory to follow a sign that says 'Deviation' if you happen not be to a Roman and are driving a car. 

This particular deviation took me down a long, narrow, winding road to a crossroads.  There was no sign there to tell me which way to go.  I took a chance and turned right - which happened to be the right decision.  So I arrived - by chance, and with luck, where I wanted to go.

That was on the way there.

On the way back, I got hopelessly lost.  I followed the first sign that said 'Deviation', and travelled through an endless, green, signpostless landscape for 20 minutes until I finally saw a very small signpost that said 'Sammerçolles'.  I don't know 'Sammerçolles' - but I do know that the village abuts the main road, and that the main road would take me to where I needed to go.  And eventually I got where I needed to go.  But it took me longer than it should have.

Life is full of 'deviations' - but it isn't obligatory to follow them.  And it will take a whole lot longer for you to get where you want to go if you do follow them.  And getting there at all will depend on whether or not  you see a signpost to some kind of 'Sammerçolles' somewhere along the way - and it's by no means certain that you will.

If you keep you eye on where you want to go, and what you want to achieve when you get there, you can avoid deviations.  Or - like a Roman - you can step over them. 

Emily - http://www.therapypartnership.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment